PhD, English, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2015
- Dissertation: Forms Abandon (poetry collection). Research areas: 19th and 20th century American and transatlantic literature; literature in translation.
- Black Mountain Institute Fellow in Poetry.
- Graduate College Research Certification.
MFA, Creative Writing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2004
- Thesis: Moving Away from a Doctrine of Works (multimedia performance and text-based investigation of spatial and environmental design).
- Vice Presidential Fellow in Creative Writing.
BA, English/Comparative Religion, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 2001
- Presidential Scholar in Comparative Religion.
- Graduated summa cum laude.
Professor of English, Keiser University, Flagship Campus, West Palm Beach, FL, 2018
- Teach the full range of English courses offered by the university.
- Develop literature and academic writing curriculum in collaboration with colleagues across disciplines.
- Advise students from all disciplines on academic paths at the undergraduate and graduate level and on career readiness.
- Web enhance all courses using the Blackboard Learning Management System.
Adjunct Instructor, University of Tampa, Tampa, FL, 2017-18
- Taught multiple sections per semester of Academic Writing: Writing and Inquiry, a core curriculum course centering on rhetorical analysis and academic research.
- Web enhanced all sections using the Blackboard Learning Management System.
- Designed a pre-formatted Academic Writing course shell in Blackboard for adoption by the English and Writing Department.
Adjunct Instructor, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, FL, 2017
- Developed curriculum to teach Topics in Editing and Publishing, a new course in the Creative Writing Program directed toward producing Shift: A Journal of Literary Oddities in print and online.
- Taught one section of Writing Studio, a first-year academic writing course focusing on arts-based writing projects, including artist interviews, contemporary artist profiles, and artist statements.
- Collaborated with departmental colleagues to revise Academic Writing curriculum to meet the needs of the college's expanding non-native English-speaking student population.
- Web enhanced both courses using the Canvas Learning Management System.
Designed curriculum for a five-week poetry course offered by the college’s Continuing Studies program.
Part-Time Instructor, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, 2015-17
- Created curriculum to teach Poetry and Poetics, an advanced undergraduate seminar, and Introduction to Poetry.
- Designed and taught multiple sections of World Literature for the Sciences, a Second-Year Experience survey for students majoring in the sciences. Themed the course on the sublime in literary criticism.
- Taught multiple sections of Composition I Extended, a two-semester academic writing course, and Composition II, a research-based academic writing course.
- Developed curriculum and assisted in selecting textbooks for the English Composition Program in line with the university's nationally recognized ethnic diversity initiatives.
- Web enhanced all courses using the Blackboard Learning Management System.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, 2012-15
- Taught multiple sections of World Literature II, a survey focusing on global literature from the 17th Century to the present. Themed the course on revolutions in literary forms and politics.
- Taught multiple sections of Composition I and Composition II.
- Regularly collaborated with Lied Library faculty on immersive library instruction for students in composition courses and web enhanced all courses using the Blackboard Learning Management System.
Adjunct Instructor, Brookdale Community College, Lincroft and Freehold, NJ, 2010-12
- Taught multiple sections per semester of English Composition: Writing and Research, a foundation writing course centering on rhetorical analysis and academic research.
- Certified in online teaching.
- Co-developed instructional modules in academic research with Bankier Library faculty.
Instructor, Downtown Writer’s Center, YMCA of Greater Syracuse, DWC PRO Program, Syracuse, NY, 2009-10
- Created curriculum to teach poetry workshops in the two-year certification program with an emphasis on the transatlantic avant-garde and experimental forms.
- Taught multiple online sections of Writer’s Individual Tutorial, an independent study designed to prepare student work for submission and publication.
- Co-curated annual student capstone reading.
- Advised students on preparing work for publication.
Teaching Artist in the Schools, The Arts Branch of the YMCA of Greater Syracuse, Syracuse, NY, 2008-09
- Taught creative writing to primary school students at multiple campuses in the Syracuse City School District as part of the YMCA’s immersive in-school and after-school arts programming.
- Assisted with program-wide curriculum development.
Adjunct Instructor, Le Moyne College, Syracuse, NY, 2008-09
- Taught multiple sections per semester of Perspectives in Literature, a global literature survey covering antiquity to the present, and Critical Writing, a first-year Core Curriculum course in academic writing.
- Web enhanced all courses using the Blackboard Learning Management System.
Visiting Instructor, Pratt Institute, PreCollege Program, New York, NY, 2006-09, 2010-11
- Designed curriculum to teach Creative Writing and multiple sections of Portfolio Development and Introduction to Foundation Writing, an introductory course in critical writing at the college level.
- Assisted students with portfolio design for college applications and advised students on admissions.
- Co-curated annual student capstone reading on the Brooklyn campus.
English Instructor, Monmouth Academy, Howell, NJ, 2004-07, 2009-10
- Designed and taught upper school college preparatory courses in American literature, British literature, contemporary world literature, dramatic literature, etymology, literary journal editing and publishing, and literature and composition.
- Co-taught Latin I and Latin II in the World Languages Department.
- Co-organized official departmentalization of English subject area as part of Middle States accreditation.
- Redesigned the school’s annual literary journal and served as its faculty editor and advisor.
- Taught independent studies in poetry and fiction to upper school students.
ACADEMIC AND ARTS ADMINISTRATION
Department Chair, English Department, Monmouth Academy, Howell, NJ, 2005-06, 2009-10
Collaborating Curator, Freedom of the Presses exhibition, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, FL, 2017
Founder, Curator, Barrow Street West Reading Series, Barrow Street, Inc., New York, NY, 2011-12
Assistant Arts Education Program Coordinator, The Arts Branch of the YMCA of Greater Syracuse, Syracuse, NY, 2008-09
English Discipline Curriculum Development Committee, Keiser University Flagship Campus, 2018
Accounting Faculty Hiring Search Committee, Keiser University Flagship Campus, 2018
Finance Faculty Hiring Search Committee, Keiser University Flagship Campus, 2018
Judge, First Annual Faculty Poetry Contest, Keiser University Flagship Campus, 2018
Judge, Nineteenth Annual Graduate and Professional Student Research Forum, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2017
Co-Chair, Black Mountain Institute Emerging Writers Series Selection Committee, Black Mountain Institute, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2013
Registration Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2013
Conference Liaison, Modernist Studies Association Conference and the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2012
SELECTED AWARDS AND HONORS
Poem of the Week (“The Rain Alone,” 28 July 2014), Burntdistrict: A Journal of Contemporary Poetry, 2014
John Brooks Family/Dean Chris Hudgins Graduate Writing Award, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2014
Best of the Net 2007 (“If You Were to Die Right Now, Johnny Depp”), Sundress Publications, 2008
Full Scholarship, Letterpress Printing & Fine Press Publishing Seminar for Emerging Writers, The Center for Book Arts, New York, NY, 2006
Sweet Corn Prize (“Manhattan Still”), Flyway, Iowa State University, 2005
Phi Beta Kappa, 2002
- Inconsequentia (with Derek Henderson), BlazeVOX Books, Buffalo, NY, 2010
Refereed Journal Articles
- “‘Eidólons, Eidólons, Eidólons’: The Poetics of Alterity in the Writings of Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson,” ESQ: A Journal of Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture (under review)
- “The Postmodern Nineteenth Century: ‘Sonnet—To Science’ and the Case for Poe’s Avant-Grade Poetics,” Edgar Allan Poe Review, 2016, pp. 105-115
Poems in Print and Online Anthologies
- “From Inconsequentia” (with Derek Henderson), They Said: A Multi-Genre Anthology of Contemporary Collaborative Writing, edited by Simone Muench, Dean Radar, Sally Ashton, and Jackie K. White, Black Lawrence Press (in press)
- “Fast the Forge,” Jersey Shore Poets, edited by Christopher Bogart and Gregg G. Brown, Blast Press, 2016, pp. 215-18
- “This Unmade Bed” (with Kevin McLellan), Interrupture: Best of Years One & Two, edited by Curtis Perdue and Katherine Factor, Interrupture, 2013, p. 10
- “Carillon, Carillon,” Zoland Poetry, edited by Roland Pease, Zoland Books, 2009, pp. 207–08
- “Warning Open Windows Can Be Hazardous,” The Page: Poetry, Essays, Language, Ideas, edited by Andrew Johnston, 2008
- “An Elegy for the Innumerable,” The Bedside Guide to No Tell Motel, edited by Reb Livingston and Molly Arden, No Tell Books, 2007, p. 17
Poems in Print and Online Journals
- “Arroyo,” Colorado Review, vol. 44, no. 1, 2017, pp. 151-2
- “La Belle Saison” (“Summer”), (Jacques Prévert, French translation), E･ratio, 2015
- “Joshua’s Bright Lily,” Josephine Quarterly, 2014
- “Let the Great World Spin,” Chariton Review, vol. 36, no. 1, 2013, p. 82
- “Beneath the City’s Filthy Blazon,” Ping Pong, 2012, pp. 150-51
- “Our Rome,” Anemone Sidecar, 2011, pp. 5–6
- “Colloquium in Snow,” H_ngm_n, 2010
- “St. Teresa’s Ecstasy,” Pank, no. 2, 2008, pp. 26-7
- “It’s Spring, James Schuyler,” Court Green, no. 3, 2006, p. 1
- “Four Statements on the Dance,” Ambit (UK), no. 179, 2005, pp. 54-5
- “Everything as It Should Be,” Poet Lore, vol. 99, nos. 1-2, 2004, pp. 19-20
Creative Nonfiction in Print Anthologies
- “It hurts even worse in French,” Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak By Writers Famous and Obscure, edited by Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser, Harper Perennial, New York, NY, 2009
Book Reviews in Print and Online Journals
- “Further Uplands and in More Wide-Lying Pastures,” Review of In the Marble of Your Animal Eyes, by Nathan Hauke, Drunken Boat, 2014
- Review of Speech Acts, by Laura McCullough, Word For/Word: A Journal of New Writing, 2011
- Review of You Are a Little Bit Happier Than I Am, by Tao Lin, Pleiades, vol. 28, no. 1, 2008, pp. 279-83
- Review of A Green Light, by Matthew Rohrer, Prairie Schooner, vol. 80, no. 1, 2006, pp. 213-15
- Review of Fa(r)ther Down, by Arielle Greenberg, Pleiades, vol. 25, no. 1, 2005, pp. 142-45
- Review of This Is How I Speak: The Diary of a Young Woman, by Sandi Sonnenfeld, Quarterly West, 2005, pp. 127-28
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
“Toward a Poetics of Building: Ronald Johnson’s Ark and the Watts Towers of Sabato Rodia,” Twenty-Ninth Annual Far West Popular Culture Association Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, 25 Feb. 2017
“‘O! Nothing earthly save the ray’: The Dis-Unity of Effect in Edgar Allan Poe’s Poetry,” Fourth International Edgar Allan Poe Conference, New York, NY, 27 Feb. 2015
“Poetry Craft Session: Two Heads Are Better Than One—The Poem, the Poet, and the Other,” The Ocean State Summer Writing Conference, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, 26 June 2010
“American Made Terrain: Place, Love and Family in Original Short Fiction and Poetry,” 7th Annual Louisiana Conference on Language and Literature, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Lafayette, LA, 22 Feb. 2008
“Multifield/Visual/MediaPoetics,” Attention Inattention: Critique and Create Conference, University of Denver, Denver, CO, 8 Oct. 2005
SELECTED LITERARY READINGS, PERFORMANCES, AND MULTIMEDIA PRESENTATIONS
Faculty Exhibition, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, FL, 25 Aug.-4 Oct. 2017
A Night of Hijinx: Interim and Barrow Street Present, Pieter Performance Space, Los Angeles, CA, 2 April 2016
Couplet Reading Series, New York, NY, 4 Jan. 2014
Visiting Writers Series, University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV, 18 Nov. 2013
National Poetry Month Reading, Middletown Public Library, Middletown, NJ, 22 April 2012
The New Yinzer Presents, Modern Formations Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA, 19 May 2011
The Ocean State Summer Writing Conference, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, 26 June 2010
“You Are Not Alone: Six-Word Memoirists at the Highline Ballroom,” New York, NY, 30 May 2009
Faculty Reading Series, Le Moyne College, Syracuse, NY, 7 Nov. 2008
Ear Inn Reading Series, New York, NY, 17 Feb. 2007
Cabaret Voltage Reading Series, Salt Lake City, UT, 30 Aug. 2006
Associate Editor, Interim, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2017-18
Faculty Advisor, Shift: A Journal of Literary Oddities, Ringling College of Art and Design, 2017
Assistant Editor, Interim, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2014-17
Managing Editor, Interim, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2013-14
Poetry and Nonfiction Editor, Witness, Black Mountain Institute, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2013-14
Assistant Poetry Editor, Witness, Black Mountain Institute, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2012-13
Contest Judge, Shuf Poetry Contest, Shuf Poetry, 2012-13
Manuscript Screener, Alice James Books, 2010-11
Faculty Editor, Café Blah Blah, Monmouth Academy, 2004-07
Assistant Editor, Barrow Street, Inc., 2003-15
Assistant Director, New Issues Press (scholarly monographs), Western Michigan University, 2002
Associate Editor, New Issues Poetry & Prose, Western Michigan University, 2000-08
Co-founder, Editor, Blue Night Press, Kalamazoo, MI, 1991-2001